Wednesday, January 17, 2007

An Intro to Our Decision...and then some Part 1

...to prefer the KJV over the modern translations is a preference that I know the Lord Jesus Christ has hand guided us in. I am not part of any "movement", I love my fellow Christians- we are all positionally perfect if we have truly trusted Christ as our Savior. We must, however be discerning when it comes to the changes in the Word of God. I think we have a right to know! It is amazing how whenever there is a post challenging Modern translations- people jump out of the woodwork to defend and justify the omissions. *ahem* I guess we see it on both sides :).
I am not a KJV onlyist (edited to clarify that KJV is the only Bible WE use, I mean an " onlyist" in the current militant sense I have seen ;))...yet- as I have yet to examine every translation- and I may never be, my husband will ultimately decide for our family :) In our search, we believe that the authorized KJV is the best that the English language has to offer. We have just compared, been given information and prayerfully made a choice given the information. We had felt, in the past, that this is such a personal decision- why tell anyone? Everyone has a right to choose the Bible they feel most comfortable reading right? Well, we are thankful someone who loved us gave us the information we needed to make an informed decision. I had been reading the NIV by default -there is nothing wrong with that, and I am not going to tell anyone they are wrong or less of a Christian because of the Bible they read. Please don't "turn off" because you think I am going to attack you and your preferences because I think I am "somethin" for wanting to read difficult english. LOL As most of you know from reading my posts, I have much "refreshing" to do to consider myself any sort of intellect...of any type. Nope, just a college drop out here folks :) It would not be of the Lord to be divisive, so why bring up such controversy? Why speak up now? I hope my frequent reading friends and family would know that I have no personal agenda attached, nothing to prove- I'm a sinner saved by Grace. I think I have been consistent enough in my posts to say I share this in love...with a desire to inform. But mainly these 2 reasons- 1) The modern translations are moving toward embracing a one world religion in their deletions and omissions. I believe it is a work of satan, not a work that anyone is knowingly doing. 2) To expose evil -which I feel obligated to do. We know who our enemy is, and he is sneaky and sly and why would he NOT seek to corrupt what millions of people trust in every day as the inspired word of God? Ultimately though, the responsibility falls on us as individuals to seek out the TRUTH. I have a sin nature as of yet ;) so I am flawed and WRONG at times...ok many times ;) So, please don't "quote" me or paste this anywhere else.
I reserve the right to be further convicted on this :)


The translators for the KJV took great pains to make sure they were not trying to convey just an idea, but that they were word for word translating. That is the important KEY ELEMENT here- WORD FOR WORD. Their notes were extensive which you can access at the link below (preface of the 1611 KJV). There are many revisions as the English language changed, but the eloquence of the Bible and the "rhythm" allows for easy memorization in my opinion and in our experience as even our 3 year old was able to memorize Prov 3: 1-13 by just hearing it read over and over. It lends to a sense of unity in the Christian body to recite scripture on the "same page". It also causes us to ponder and look deeper as the Lord leads and to explain the scripture to our children, though it has been tested at a 5th grade reading level. The words of the Bible are a mysterious work and have been supernaturally preserved. Ask ,in earnest, for the truth, and the Lord will reveal it.
As far as preference alone, who wouldn't want to see the beautiful language of the KJV preserved? There is an agenda to get the KJV off the shelves, and even if reading the KJV was not your conviction would you not at least be concerned to find it was no longer going to be printed? For example (a poor one I'm afraid as the the Bible is the Word of God) we would be offended if someone took the beautiful literary work of Shakespeare and changed it to modern English in an effort to take the "old" off the shelves...the Authorized KJV is a literary masterpiece as a bonus to being the most accurate translation, and that is a preference on our part. The Omissions and Changes are the reasons for our main concerns.

The translators were incredibly humble and devout men of God. I read a good bit of the preface of the 1611 KJV. They allowed that someone might translate better in their extensive notes. - Written in the preface of the 1611 KJV, "...we affirm and avow, that the very meanest [poorest or least esteemed] translation of the Bible in English, set forth by men of our profession... contains the Word of God, nay, IS THE WORD OF GOD". They said that "though it be not interpreted by every Translator with like grace", the King's speech is "still the King's speech"; thus, "No cause therefore why the Word translated should be denied to be the Word, or forbidden to be currant [used], notwithstanding that some imperfections and blemishes may be noted in the setting forth [translating] of it." We still believe the Authorized KJV is the best translation.

The men chosen to write the Bible were "pens" to write GOD's WORDS...they weren't tasked with discerning the mind of God or worse the intent of Paul, for example, and writing it down! As we read the Bible, it is the Holy Spirit (for without the Holy Spirit we would be blind) that speaks to us through the inspired words. Matthew 24:35, the Lord Jesus said, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."
"MY WORDS"- so if some of the words are going away, they are no long HIS WORDS. I will post a table of the various contradictions and omissions found in the modern translations. For now, some of the great concerns are:

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." the NIV says " For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[f] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - ONE AND ONLY? Read this for an excellent exposure to the huge error of using one and only vice begotten in translating God's Words. This makes the verse 1 John 3:2 invalid " Beloved, now are we the sons of God...?" It also challenges the virgin birth and deity and the importance of Christ's shed blood. ie

Colossians 1:14 the KJV reads, "In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins:" The NIV reads, "In whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." The NIV, NASV, RSV, NRSV fail to report that it is THROUGH HIS BLOOD that we have forgiveness of sins. Where in the world is Acts 8:37? Anyway, I will post or link you to a lengthy list of some very scary deletions in my opinion. And, as I said before, I believe some of the Modern translations are paving the way nicely to confuse and leave room to embrace the false gods and religions of the world. The New World Translation (Jehovah's Witness) has been named an obvious corruption of scripture, but it is interesting how the NIV and NASB frequently agree with the NWT in their omissions (at least 6 are the same) and changes.
I loved this...

“Truly, good Christian Reader, we never thought from the beginning, that we should need to make a new Translation, nor yet to make of a bad one a good one ... but to make a good one better, or out of many good ones, one principal good one, not justly to be excepted against; that hath been our endeavor, that our mark.” - Preface to the King James Bible

So, since my commenter jumped the gun a bit, I will address the whole copyright issue. Here is an overview of what a copyright is, quoted from the article-
"Copyright law secures for the creator of a creative effort the exclusive right to control who can make copies, or make works derived from the original work. " (emphasis added) and "And of course you can't copyright something somebody else did without their permission, or derive your work from their work."
If you are concerned you are getting the real deal, you can just look at the publisher etc. and the KJV has had "protections" which some would call a copyright in order to protect from piracy etc. This article describes some of that and how this reason alone would be ludicrous for rejecting a modern translation...I agree and I probably should not have used it as my teaser. But..it is a preparation for things to come...I see the copyright (the pronounced display of it as the NIV uses) as a warning. All of these things are working together to produce a lie- with a license- and it has just gotten started!

I know my poor writing skills and grammer can be ripped to shreds, but please don't let my human error take away from a very important issue that needs to be examined. Let this perhaps be a catalyst for your own "search" for the truth. The Lord desires us to have truth in hand and hide it in our hearts. Don't let any comments of ridicule or condescending explanation remove a cause for concern over this issue remember that "...we wrestle not against flesh and blood" Eph 6:12. Ultimately my desire is to provoke in my friends and family a desire for truth.

7 comments:

Susan said...

I grew up using the KJV, and I still do use it. I've always considered myself KJV Only, but I'm finding that there are "degrees" of KJVO, I guess you could say. When I say I'm KJVO, I mean only that it's the only Bible I use, and it's by conviction that it IS the Word of God for English-speaking people. I DON'T mean that people can't get saved from reading another version, or that people are wicked if they use another version. I also DON'T believe that the KJV is an advanced revelation of God. I like the grace you used in your post. We could all use a little more grace with each other! :)

Heather said...

Ms Susan, your posts are consistantly filled with grace, I love reading your blog. I, too use only the KJV but am shying away from the label because of the lack of love and grace I find associated with it. I love how you stated there are different "degrees". I agree.

Kristi said...

Heather, I agree that you handled your post with grace. I believe in standing up for what is right and the KJV is right. If the others have omitions and the others have different meanings, they are wrong...in a nutshell. That's why I say King James Bible and the others are versions of that Holy Book. Things that are versions are not the same as the original. Things that are different are not the same.

"The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6. The King James Bible is the seventh translation and the number seven, when seen in the Bible, is the number of completion and perfection. Again, see the verse above. Neat, huh? There are 47 men that translated this version and these men voted 47 to nothing that it was perfect.

Just a little history lesson there. :)

~Kristi

Heather said...

Thank you Kristi!! :) That is neat! God is so good.

Ashleigh Baker said...

::applauds!:: Excellently written, Heather. :) I agree with much of what you say here, and above all, I greatly appreciate your graciousness, your evident desire to follow the Lord and His will for your family, your willingness to study it out, and your overall humility in the entire matter. Wonderful post!

I also find it fitting that the verse for today on your sidebar is Colossians 4:6... perfect. :)

Mishel said...

LOVED, loved, *loved* this post Heather!! You handled what can be a very divisive issue with such grace and humility. As Christians we *should* be able to have a discourse about things like this, but not in the harsh and heated tones I usually read. Your post was a breath of fresh air. And, I appreciate all the links you posted so people can check it out for themselves.

And far as what I think...I would "ditto" Susan's comment. : )

Grafted Branch said...

We've got every version under the sun in our house, I think (except the JW).

We memorize by the KJV (though I'm wondering if NKJV wouldn't be better for practicality sake).

I don't like the NIV either, but we keep it (or an NASB) close by to get a "head start" on a passage when we find ourselves stuck because the language is just too much for us.

I hope to get back here and check the links you've provided. Thanks for your effort in making all this information available to us.