Thursday, November 17, 2005

Mundane? or Glorifying God-


-by doing what we were created to do...The Lord has brought me through many a trial, but the hardest thing for me to do is to give glory to God by allowing His power to shine through me in my daily tasks. There is so much of a blessing to be found in cleaning the house and preparing a meal for the beautiful family that God has given me. Only God can give us such joy in such (by world's standards) menial tasks because it is what a mother was created to do. Just as a flower blooms in my garden to the glory of God and to the enjoyment of myself and any passerby, so does the flower out in the middle of nowhere in a desert perhaps. No one was there to see the struggle to live in spite of circumstances, or to see the glorious bloom ...but it bloomed just as vibrantly as it would have in the Queen of England's private garden. It is our example of doing all to the glory of God alone. Sometimes I miss out on this blessing when I do it in my own strength, or for my own goals instead of to God's glory. A creation doing what it was created to do gives glory to God. Why is that so hard for ME to remember?!

Some Christians are called to risk their lives in spreading the gospel in a foreign land, some are hardworking Pastor's wives, and some have gifts for multiple ministries, some are called to be teachers and Doctors and Researchers...they give glory to God in doing what THEY were called to do, but no more than those of us called to stay in our homes caring for our families. The devotion I had yesterday was such an encouragement to me...who as a teenager never dreamed of not having a career. It was in 1Corinthians 10:31 "Whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God" This was an excerpt from my devotion in My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers ..."The tendency is to look for the marvellous in our experience; we mistake the sense of the heroic for being heroes. It is one thing to go through a crisis grandly, but another thing to go through every day glorifying God when there is no witness, no limelight, no one paying the remotest attention to us. If we do not want [mediaeval] haloes, we want something that will make people say-What a wonderful man of prayer he is! What a pious devoted woman she is! If you are rightly devoted to the Lord Jesus, you have reached the sublime height where no one ever thinks of noticing you, all that is noticed is that the power of God comes through you all the time."..."Our human relationships are the actual conditions in which the ideal life of God is to be exhibited." That was such an eye opener to me, as a mother and wife struggling daily in my God-given place as a home-maker to quietly and consistently give honor and glory to Him in my every day tasks whether anyone notices or not-God does.

1 comment:

Elorra said...

Thank you for these words of wisdom and a reality check on my day. I may just have to read your blog again sometime.