Sunday, December 10, 2006

Disclaimer...a tap dance of sorts ;)


I must say, I winced as I pressed the publish button for the post below...Other than one close friend here at our church and my blogosphere friends- we have not/are not sharing this with anyone else. Only the Lord knows our hearts, and even though our human nature taints everything we do...our prayer is that this would not be an act of prideful legalism...which, piously denying oneself of anything in the name of God could easily lend itself to pride (did I word that right?). I especially cringed at the comments of admiration- I know the intention was to exhort...but we deserve nothing of that regard NOT US or our decision- please. Please hear my heart when I say that in Christ we have LIBERTY :) We are not trying to surround ourselves with laws that lend to the hypocricy of Pharisees and/or pride of life. God HATES a prideful heart (which I have been guilty of). This is one way, this year, for our family to explore a way to better be able to focus on Christ while teaching our impressionable children that their childhood memories should be about the celebration of their Savior. If our hearts are not safely trusting in the Lord..satan will use this attempt to focus on God and tempt our pride to focus on ourselves. A very fine line we are walking...I know, please pray for us as we seek the Lord's will. We have asked the Lord to help us be more focused on Him, and He has revealed areas (not just this one) where we are distracted and our affections misplaced. Your Christmas celebration, dear reader and friends is just as precious this year as ours (like you needed me to tell you lol)...please don't take this as my way of "preaching" to you that *said in a fiery preacher voice* "you need to mend your ways and tear down those sinful trees* ;) ...most of you are much more experienced than I. *sigh* Do I make sense? ..or am I just doing a terrible tap-dance.. So now, I am going to go eat my humble pie...and in a way, regret my decision to Post about this.

edited to add : I need to be mindful in my posts... "A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards. "Proverbs 29:11

5 comments:

Mishel said...

Oh Heather (((hugs)))! I don't think you need to eat humble pie or regret your previous post. One of the many things I enjoy about your blog (and you personally) is your honesty in sharing your victories as well as your struggles, as you seek to follow your Saviour. I don't think you came across as judgemental or legalistic at all. You were just sharing how the Lord is leading your family in celebrating Christmas this year. I hope I didn't come across in my comment, that I what I thought. In fact, it was just the opposite. I thought you were being very careful and loving.

Love you lots!
Mishel

Heather said...

LOL..humble pie is what keeps the pride away!! Your comment was great, but reminded me that not everyone reading my blog knows me as well as you do. And, not everyone who reads my blog is as confident in their beliefs- this could have caused some confusion as to what it means to be a follower of God. I was all excited yesterday about sharing what we were going to do, but today I realize that some things from the Lord are meant to keep to ourselves. This may have been one of them. Hind sight is 20/20 right ;) I love you, and I always value and am encouraged by your gentle but forthright wisdom. I love that your family has had many experiences in balancing your lives to be centered on Him. Your comments and words of wisdom are always welcome. Even if it is something you think I don't want to hear...all the more reason...I love good counsel! love you!! heather ( I know you *have* to be laughing at how serious I take myself sometimes ;) )

Susan said...

Dear Heather, please don't worry about having shared your thoughts on Christmas on your blog. As I said before, I felt that your decision was a great one, but even if I didn't agree with it, it wouldn't be my place to tell you so! :) Never apologize for speaking the truth in love, which is exactly how I saw it.

I have known so many people who like to tell everyone how ungodly they are for some decision or other. My husband's favorite response (even when I'm questioning someone's decision!) is from Rom. 14 - "Who art thou that judgest another man's servant?" Who am I to decide the state of a person's heart or God's leading in their life?

Heather said...

((Ms Susan)) :) You are so loving.

Kristi said...

Heather, in reference to your Christmas This Year post, I believe the Lord convicts His people of different things for different reasons at different times. If you and your husband feel led of the Lord to not put up a tree, than you would be wrong to put one up. I know that was probably a tuff decision for you. After all, I am sure it's been a tradition in both of your lives since you were small children. But the Lord will bless you if you seek His will and abide by it.

BTW, I don't think you were judgemental at all. There was a sweet spirit in your writing.

Love ya!!
~Kristi