Monday, January 02, 2006

Tough Decision

Many of you know that have planned all along to Homeschool our children. I felt this impressed upon me when Brianna, my oldest, was an infant. I thought..."Not me Lord..I don't have any patience!! But, yes, as my husband and I prayed about it we knew that was what the Lord had planned for us... for many reasons.

When we moved here to Okinawa, the Church we became members of had a K-4 using the same curriculum I was going to use, so we allowed Brianna to attend this past fall to make some friends and become familiar with a formal classroom setting. I was going to let her finish the year, but I was soon reminded of some of the reasons I wanted to homeschool in the first place. I felt I was losing the hands on mommy daughter training time while she spent a full day at school from 8:30 to 2:45, and she was experiencing a full dose of kid cruelness at too early an age, I felt. I really fell in love, though, with her teacher who has a servant's heart and is such a Godly woman. Brianna loved her as well, and I could see that as time went on, it would become more and more difficult to stick with what we felt the Lord wanted us to do. So, we informed her teacher and the principle this past weekend that we would start homeschooling earlier than we had planned...I start homeschooling tomorrow!! I spent this morning preparing rudimentary lesson plans (I know she is only 4, but I am very excited to get this started). We get to keep her books, so I will just pick up where she left off! I have peace that we have made the right decision, but it is still so hard!! PLEASE PRAY!! I embark on a tremendous journey and I need all the prayer I can get.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

OH I am excited for you! Its always a tough decision no matter what you do! But I know your running around days will be a lot less hectic! :)

Jamie said...

Oh and I will pray for you!

Anonymous said...

WOW! More power to you. My sister home-schools her daughters and I am in constant awe of anyone who can do that. I'll be praying for you. God will bless you in this Heather. I just have that feeling.

Karen said...

Heather...I home-schooled Molly and Joel during most of their elementary years...way back in 1984! It was a wonderful experience and I don't have any regrets. They loved it too. I sent them back to public school when I felt they were ready to face the world and when I wasn't able to teach the higher math and science they needed! They both graduated 2nd in their classes and continued their walk with the Lord! I will pray for you and the girls too...I was so scared when I first started but it is really worth the time, love and prayer you put into it. Love in Him...Karen

Anonymous said...

How exciting Heather! You will never regret your decision. I will be praying for you!! Love, Mishel : )

Heather said...

Thank you all so very much. It is such a blessing to know I have sisters in the Lord praying for me!! :)

Anonymous said...

Though we'll miss seeing Brianna everyday, I know this is what y'all wanted & I'll be praying that God gives you the will & strength to do so!

--Janis♥

Heather said...

Thank you Janis!! Thank you for "stopping by" as well!! :) I am still sad for Brianna not seeing her teacher and her friends everyday, but I really feel at peace that we started on what we felt the Lord had been leading us to do.